Pages

Monday, February 26, 2018

What Did Alekhine Actually Write for Nazi Publication?

Something of historical note regarding Alekhine. This is a post by Taylor Kingston to Chess Book Collectors. While I'd heard of these writings by Alekhine, I'd never actually read any of them. Here is Taylor's post and link...

"A few days ago the infamous anti-Semitic 1941 articles attributed to Alekhine on "Jewish and Aryan Chess" were mentioned here. To my knowledge a good English translation of these is not available online, so I took a few minutes to scan the very good translation found in "The Personality of Chess" by Horowitz and Rothenberg (New York 1963) and made them into a pdf, available through the link below. Included also is Alekhine's denial in 1946 of ever having written the articles.
Let me be clear: I am presenting these only for the sake of those who, like me, have an interest in chess history. I do not at all endorse what these articles say. As to the question of Alekhine's authorship, I think it likely, though not absolutely certain, that he did write them. For more on that, see the Edward Winter article linked to in the first comment below."


https://taylorkingstononchess.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/jewish-and-aryan-chess.pdf

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/alekhine.html

No comments:

Post a Comment