Pages

Monday, January 16, 2017

Portsmouth, NH Open Report

The Portsmouth Open was great fun. Saw old friends and made a few new ones. 
GM Alexander Ivanov lost to our own Vermont National Master, David Carter. I ran into Alexander later that evening and he said, "I blundered a piece. Now I have to win both my games tomorrow." I told him to not feel baldly and that I blunder away pieces all the time. He got a twinkle in his eyes, grinned and said, "I blunder too...........sometimes." The former Soviet Grandmaster living in the US since the early 1990's has an interesting story to tell post-USSR. More on that at a later date
.
The tournament venue at the Holiday Inn. Standing against the wall, left, is Assistant TD Paul Kolojeski, a really nice guy.

IM David Vigorito and Vermont's only National Master, David Carter, in Rd 3. They drew this game and both finished ahead of Ivanov with 3.5.

US Chess Promoter of the Year, Alex Relyea. Another beautifully run event from the Master.

Yours truly ready to start the losing streak on his new DGT eBoard. All blunders duly recorded.

Grandmaster Alexander Ivanov in the 1st Round against Erin Dame

No comments:

Post a Comment