Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Lyndonville Chess Club End of Year Update

Happy Holidays to All!!
In view of the holidays and everyone's busy schedules, I'm planning a hiatus to our Tuesday evening meetings for the coming two weeks. We'll begin anew on Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at The Grindstone. If anyone wants a game, feel free to contact me or anyone on the list. I'm usually at the Grindstone on Sundays at 11:30 if anyone wants a game or three. I can also play during the week in the morning. 

2016 Club Ladder
I'm going to implement a club ladder tournament to run throughout the year. This will be set up using the SwissSys tournament program and will give everyone who plays a nominal, but totally unofficial, chess rating. You can use this to challenge another member higher on the ladder to move up. At the end of 2016, we'll have a ladder champion to fete. I'll find a suitable prize. Perhaps some arcane chess tome from the 18th Century. Don't get too excited.......it likely won't be a first edition. 

Outreach Across the Border
Last year on Bastille Day, July 14th, we had a little celebration by playing at least one game using the Philidor Defense while we drank some French wine. With very little notice, I contacted some of the clubs in Quebec and the the Quebec Chess Association. The response was very positive. I'd like to do more to promote that, so if anyone is interested in cross-cultural activity, or finding a Canadian spouse for possible emigration purposes, please let me know. 

A joyous and happy holiday season to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment